A Travellerspoint blog

Byron Bay

sunny 30 °C

After 11 hours bus journey from Rainbow Beach I finally got to Bryon Bay feeling absolutely rotten. Great start! Bloody hostel didn't even pick me up and were also closed. After calling them several times and making it quite clear that I wasn't feeling too well and are not the happiest person, they finally met me. I stayed in the Dive Inn, which is shit. The guy working there was absolutely lovely and was really looking after me but everything else wasn't great.
I was feeling so bad that I was getting worried that my time in Sydney would be ruinded as well, remembering how long the last tonsilitis took me, even with antibiotics....
Looking back, the only good thing was that everyone in my hostel has been staying their for weeks and months and was working, and didn't really go out or do anything else. So, even if I would have been well, I wouldn't have met many people to go out with and experience the famous Byron Bay. Never mind, shit happens when you are on a tight schedule like that, so I tried to make the most out of Byron of what was left. I needed rest before Sydney and Melbourne anyway. Worst was probably that I missed the dive at Julian's Rocks, but hey ho....
After a surprinsing good night sleep (I think it's the first time since I am in OZ that I slept through), I felt a little bit better in the morning and had my hopes up.
Byron looked really nice, a small beach town with a nice beach. Quite busy but very nice. And for once you could swim in the sea, which was my first time here in OZ. Sea is so much colder here, but really refreshing and if you are not constantly thrown over by the waves it's great fun :-) Even more fun the watch all the surfers ! :-)
In the afternoon I did the walk to the lighthouse which was brilliant but very exhausting for me. It should only take an hour I was told and it took me 3 hours! So, quite clearly I am not in top form. Some great views over the bays and beaches and the surfers :-) and you got to the most Eastern Point of Australia.
After that I treated myself to a nice dinner as I hadn't eaten anything in 2 days and had an early night again. The next morning I was feeling even better and decided I didn't need a docotor anymore. I was so happy. Only then I realised how down I have been for the past 3-4 days. Not great being sick while travelling.
But on that Monday morning I was being positive again and full of beans! :-)
Spent hours again on the Internet trying to catch up and went for a quick break to the beach and also got my underwater pics developed.
Decided to change my bus to Sydney to an earlier one, had an uneventful day in Byron but was really looking forward to Sydney, especially seeing Alex.
It is a real shame that my time in Byron was like that, as so many people said they had a wicked time their and that it was their favourite place but it just wasn't meant to be for me....

Posted by Julia1976 16:13 Archived in Australia

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint